Nut-Free Seven-Layer Bars
These seven-layer bars replace nuts with salty pumpkin seeds and are very easy to make with the help of a semi pre-made crust, easily made with crushed up Abby's Shortbread Cookies.
- 2 cups (or 10 oz) SAFE + FAIR Abby's Shortbread Cookies
- 5 T. unsalted butter, melted
- 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 white chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut (optional)
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- Crush the cookies in a food processor or by hand with a meat tenderizer.
- Add the melted butter and stir.
- Pat down in a 9 x 13 glass or metal pan and cook for 7 minutes in a 350-degree oven.
- Once finished, add the sweetened condensed milk and smooth it out evenly over the cookie crust with a spoon.
- Top with the chocolate chips, coconut flakes (optional) and pumpkin seeds.
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and cool before cutting.
Growing up, I used to love Seven Layer Bars. The buttery cookie crust pairs so deliciously with the gooey condensed milk/chocolate filling and the salty nuts on top. Having kids with life-threatening nut allergies, I've crossed these off my list for years. But with some easy substitutes, I found a reason to bring them back.
--Debby Beerman, SAFE + FAIR Brand Ambassador, @clean.label.mom