This protein-rich ancient gluten-free whole grain is small but mighty! We include millet in our allergen-free granolas for its protein, fiber, and rich amino acid and vitamin profile! Millet may look like a tiny bird seed, but it’s actually part of the grass family. Naturally gluten-free, it’s a perfect safe addition to our whole grain granolas.
There are four major varieties of millet, pearl, foxtail, proso, and finger. They’re slightly different in color and appearance. We use whole pearl millet in our granolas as it is the most commonly produced type for human consumption and has the highest nutrient content.
- One cup of cooked pearl millet contains 207 calories, 41g carbs, 2.2g fiber, 6g protein, 1.7g fat.
- It contains a more complete amino acid profile than other cereal grains, making its protein content more easily absorbed and utilized by the body.
- This whole grain also contains high amounts of phosphorus (25% of your DV), magnesium, niacin, folate, and iron. It also have a high calcium content with 13% of your daily value in just 1 cup!
Healthy Benefits For You:
- Millet is right in antioxidants, including phenolic compounds like ferulic acid and catechins. These antioxidants are extremely beneficial in fighting off free-radicals and reducing oxidative stress in the body.
- The fiber and non-starchy polysaccharides it contains, help control blood sugar and stabilize your glucose levels. These indigestible carbs help keep you feeling fuel and energized for longer, without a crash.
- The insoluble fiber in millet acts as a prebiotic and helps feed the good bacteria in your gut, promoting good digestive health.
- It’s been found that the soluble fiber in millet helps to reduce LDL cholesterol and protects your heart health.
Mighty whole grain millet is a perfect grain to include in our granolas and only helps to boost the nutrition and vitamins you get in eating craveworthy food! Adding extra crunch and subtle flavor, you’d never know you were getting a hefty dose of great plant-based nutrition and protein!
Baked into our granola and slightly puffed, millet adds a perfect amount of texture and crispy crunch to the clusters you see. Since our granolas are lightly baked and toasted, the nutrient profile of millet remains in every last handful you enjoy!