Popcorn is one of the healthiest and most popular snack foods! On its own, it’s packed with whole vitamins and nutrients. Here at Safe + Fair, we use the highest quality whole grain kernel popcorn as a blank canvas to our craveworthy flavors to elevate a plain food into something spectacular!
Corn is a grain, not a vegetable, and popcorn is the whole grain form. This special variety of corn contains a small amount of water in the center of the hard outer shell and when heated “explodes” the hard exterior and turns into the delicious crunchy snack you know and love!
Whole Grain Popcorn Nutrition:
- One serving which is 3 cups or 24g of plain air-popped popcorn, only contains 90 calories, 1g fat, 18 carbs, 4g fiber, and 3g protein.
- One serving of whole grain popcorn contains 10% of your daily fiber intake. This high-fiber, high-volume, and low-calorie food will keep you feeling fuller for longer!
- Popcorn is also rich with vitamins and minerals such as iron, copper, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, manganese, Vitamin B1, B3, B6, and zinc.
- You may not think popcorn is considered a nutrient-dense food, but it is! It’s also rich in Polyphenols which are antioxidants that help protect our cells from damage by free radicals.
Healthy Benefits For You:
- Popcorn is a fantastic snack for those looking to lose weight or maintain their weight since it is high in fiber, but low in calories and fat.
- The fiber in whole grain popcorn is insoluble which helps regulate your digestive system and keeps things moving along!
- The polyphenols found in popcorn are linked to the reduction of cancer growth and help reduce inflammation, improve blood circulation, and reduce blood pressure.
By starting with whole kernel popcorn for our Safe + Fair seasoned and drizzled popcorns, you’re getting all the nutritious benefits in a super tasty way! We kettle-pop our popcorn, which means we pop the popcorn in a large iron kettle that’s lightly oiled with sunflower oil, before seasoning it with our signature flavors and drizzles.
Kettle-popped popcorn gives the popcorn a more distinct and signature flavor, making it perfect for a sweet or savory snack. Kettle popping is a method that was brought over to the United States by the Dutch and became the popular method for popping big batches of popcorn for fairs, festivals, carnivals, and of course, movie theaters!