The Ultimate Guide To Making Healthy Craveworthy Smoothies
Want to know the secret formula to making the tastiest and healthiest smoothies even the pickiest of eaters will want to drink? Smoothies that are packed with all the nutrition you need hidden with the most craveworthy flavors! Learn how to do just that with this guide to making smoothies everyone will love!
First Add Your Base: (Use 1 Cup)
Choose a liquid base for your smoothie.
- Non-Dairy Milk (Coconut, Flax, Oat, Almond, Etc.)
- Coconut Water
- Cold Herbal Teas (Green Tea, Chamomile, Etc.)
- Natural Fruit Juice
Second Add Frozen Fruit: (Use 1-2 Cups)
Naturally sweeten and thicken your smoothie with fruit! (Note: if using fresh fruit, your smoothie will not come out thick).
Pro Tip: You can roughly cut up leftover fresh fruit you have on hand and store it in the freezer for smoothies later on! This cuts down on food waste and allows you to use seasonal fruit during off-season months!
- Frozen Banana
- Frozen Mango
- Frozen Pineapple
- Frozen Berries (Blueberries, Raspberries, Blackberries)
- Frozen Melon
- Frozen Kiwi
- Frozen Apple Slices
- Frozen Pear Slices
- Frozen Grapes
Third Add Frozen Veggies & Greens: (Use 1-2 Cups)
If you add frozen fruit, you can get away with adding fresh veggies and greens. But, if you want spoonable thickness, plan on freezing your veggies and greens as well!
Pro Tip: If you don't have a high-speed blender, you may want to peel all fruits and veggies to reduce texture issues if that is a concern!
- Greens (Spinach, Kale, Collards, Romaine, Spring Mix)
- Fresh Herbs (Mint, Parsley, Basil)
- Frozen Cucumber
- Frozen Zucchini or Yellow Squash
- Frozen Cauliflower
Fourth Add Healthy Fats: (Use 1-2 Tablespoons)
You can include some healthy fats and omegas to your smoothies while also adding extra thickness!
- Frozen Avocado
- Full-Fat Unsweetened Non-Dairy Yogurts
- Chia Seeds
- Seed or Nut Butters (Sunflower Butter, Almond Butter)
- Coconut Oil
Fifth Add Extra Boosts & Flavors: (Use As Needed)
Time for the bonus round! The last step is where you can add extra flavors and nutrition to your healthy smoothies that are guaranteed to make them picky eater approved!
- Safe + Fair Kids Protein Powder
- Spices & Herbs (Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Cloves, Ginger, Turmeric)
- Superfoods (Matcha, Maca, Cacao, Acai)
- Extracts (Vanilla, Lemon, Maple, Peppermint)
- Citrus Zest (Lemon, Lime, Orange)
Go All Out With Toppings: (Use As Needed)
Some like a super slurppable smoothie with a straw, but some love a super thick "ice-cream-like" smoothie with a spoon that's prime for some craveworthy toppings!
Bonus Smoothie Tips & Tricks:
- Always follow the above formula. Start with your liquids first when adding the layers to your blender for easy blending!
- The more frozen ingredients you use, the thicker your smoothie will be!
- Don't add ice to your smoothie or you'll end up with a bland watered down taste.
- Make sure you use cold ingredients if you're not using frozen.
- Peel any fresh fruits or veggies you use if you don't have a high-speed blender (or if texture is a big problem for your kids!)
- Meal prep and portion out fresh ingredients by chopping them up, placing in a freezer-safe bag, and freezing until ready to blend (just add liquid!)
- This Smoothie Formula makes 1 large smoothie or 2 kid-sized smoothie!