Oats aren’t the only whole grain we use in our craveworthy granolas! Brown rice is an essential, nutritious, perfectly puffable grain we include. This simple gluten-free whole grain adds fiber, nutrition, vitamins, minerals, and an iconic nutty flavor.
Brown rice is just whole grain rice, meaning it still has the outer hull which gives it its brown hue, source of dietary fiber, and allows it to retains more nutrients during the cooking process. There’s no need to “enrich” brown rice like there is with white rice, since the vitamins and minerals remain with the grain!
Brown Rice Nutrition:
- One cup serving of cooked brown rice contains 216 calories, 44g carbs, 4g fiber, 1.6g fat, and 5g protein.
- The high fiber content makes it a great swap with white rice if you’re looking to lose weight, control blood sugar, or improve heart health. The fiber and carb content make this rice a “slow carb” and healthy choice when considering net carbs.
- The healthy fats come from the outer hull. These natural oils are unsaturated and are a healthy source of natural plant fat to include in your diet.
- Brown rice is packed with vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals such as an array of B vitamins, a high amount of manganese, phosphorus, copper, iron, selenium, magnesium, and zinc.
- As a whole grain it is a fantastic source of folate, riboflavin (B2), potassium and calcium.
Healthy Benefits For You:
- Brown rice is a great swap from white rice or refined grains when looking to increase fiber intake and lose weight. It also helps control blood sugar for diabetics and improves cardiovascular health.
- It's also associated with improved digestive health and is naturally gluten-free, making it a safe grain for those with allergies.
- The vitamins and minerals it contains can help reduce cancer risk and decrease inflammation in the body due to the phenols and flavonoids, a class of antioxidants.
By including whole grain brown rice in our clustery and crisp granolas, we can increase the benefits of whole grain nutrition in each serving! The brown rice we use is baked and puffed to achieve a mouthwatering crispiness and texture.
Our granolas are a perfect way to start the day with a bowl of nutritious grains instead of a sugary boxed cereal. Whole grain packed granola makes for a great source of full and energy for sports and workouts; something to help you get over that midday slump, but still tastes good and satisfies the sweet tooth!